zaterdag 23 juli 2011

Unemployed in Queenstown

We are about 2 weeks later, and there's still no news on the job front. Everybody keeps telling me that "things are picking up slowly" and that "it will come, don't worry", but I don't know. I get a bit dark on it sometimes, but there's not much I can do. I can start being really pushy and annoying so people wouldn't ignore me, but somehow that's not how I work. So I'll just give it another few days and keep popping into the job agency and keep asking if something new has come up in the last couple of ... hours.

However, it feels like I have been busy the last few weeks. Alex and me have been occupied looking for property, visiting real estate agent after agent (some of them nicer than others), viewing properties, driving around. We had found something we thought we liked and Alex wanted to go for it, but we kept on being played around by the real estate agent so in the end we gave it up. Luckily, there was one place to which we kept on going back, and it might now become Alex' new property. Let's wait and see! In any case we are very excited and can't wait to move, since we are still living in the Kawarau Hotel. I shouldn't complain though, because this is just about the best hotel I have ever been in :-).

In the mean time, between all the property, job searching and workouts, we try to visit Coronet Peak and The Remarkables as much as possible. My new snowboard appears to be a very good one, very light and responsive, so it really is a treat to go up there and just try to improve. Improve I have, by the way, and for the first time in my life I have looked at some slopes without fearing them, but thinking of them as a challenge. Hurray for that, I think :-).
Alex, on the other hand, is getting right into his skiing by following a levels course, which will allow him later to become a ski instructor. This is a pretty intense course so it gets us up the mountains quite some time as well.

I have also been to my first meeting of the Queenstown Creative Writers Group, which is a social meeting in a cafe with some freelance authors. I thought it might be nice to get some writing started. What do people do when they're unemployed! It was actually nice, having a coffee, discussing some (own) writing, just having a chat and a laugh. You have to love Kiwi's :-). And hey, you might just be hearing some more from me!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten